• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Different Lead Singers for Beach Boys Top 40s

#1 User is offline   Murry's Ghost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Has anyone ever seen a breakdown of all the top 40 Beach Boys songs with the lead singer listed with each song?
I doubt if any other group could claim as many different band members singing lead on so many hit records.

Anybody got the BBT40 breakdown?
A choke of grief heart hardened I
Beyond belief a broken man too tough to cry

Surf's Up

#2 User is offline   Ruint Domino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Beatles (the group, not the insect), Baltimore Orioles (the baseball team, not the bird), Cats (the animal, not the musical).

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

A worthy challenge. I'll start from the top:

Surfin' Safari - Mike
409 - Mike
Surfin' USA - Mike
Shut Down - Mike

Someone else's turn now...
They were running around like chickens cut their heads off!!

#3 User is offline   john k 

• Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere (J.P. Donleavy)
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, music and more music. Food. The occasional nip of this or that (especially that). A jolly good laugh now and again. Regular visits to this board. :)

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:02 PM

Surfer Girl - Brian
Little Deuce Coupe - Mike
Be True To Your School - Mike
In My Room - group
Posted Image
The Beard of Love - The story so far...
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#4 User is offline   Murry's Ghost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

While Mike sang lead on the vast majority of Top 40 Beach Boys hits (16 or so), everyone else got into the act as well.
Brian sang on many, including "Don't Worry Baby" and "Caroline, No"(Yes, I count this song as a BB song).
Carl sang lead on "Darlin" and "I Can Hear Music" I believe.
Al sings lead in "Help Me Rhonda" and "Come Go With Me".
Even Dennis sings lead on the Top 40 hit "Do You Wanna Dance?"
The Beach Boys even let Dean Torrance sing the high part lead on "Barbara Ann"!
Only one left out was Bruce.

I count 33 Top 40 hits by the Boys. I could very well be off a little on the exact number, but regardless, what a legacy of songs.

BTW, I am surprised that "Little Saint Nick" never charted. But it was released the second week of November in '63. Not much time to climb.

Two songs that should have been "A" sides were "The Warmth of the Sun" and "Kiss Me Baby". Both would have charted in my opinion.

Surf's Up

#5 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, music and more music. Food. The occasional nip of this or that (especially that). A jolly good laugh now and again. Regular visits to this board. :)

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostMurry's Ghost, on Feb 15 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

Only one left out was Bruce.

Bruce's big chance at immortality is his contribution to the "tag" of one of pop's seminal songs, "God Only Knows"... ;)
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#6 User is offline   Ruint Domino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Beatles (the group, not the insect), Baltimore Orioles (the baseball team, not the bird), Cats (the animal, not the musical).

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:31 PM

I wanted to do this right, so I conducted a little research using my scant reference material, and came up with these totals:

The Beach Boys are credited with 36 American top forty hits, but one of those was the 1974 re-entry of the 1963 hit "Surfin' USA", and another was the 1981 "Beach Boys medley", so I'm only counting the other 34 songs. The lead singers break down this way:

12.5 songs -- Mike Love (seven 'full credits', 11 'half credits')
8 songs -- Brian Wilson (three 'full', ten 'half')
5.5 songs -- Carl Wilson (four 'full', three 'half')
4 songs -- group (one full, six half)
1.5 songs -- Alan Jardine (one of each)
1 song -- Dennis Wilson (one full)
1 song -- The Fat Boys (one full)
.5 song -- Dean Torrance (one half)

total: 34 songs.

#7 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

View PostRuint Domino, on Mar 3 2009, 08:31 PM, said:

I wanted to do this right, so I conducted a little research using my scant reference material, and came up with these totals:

The Beach Boys are credited with 36 American top forty hits, but one of those was the 1974 re-entry of the 1963 hit "Surfin' USA", and another was the 1981 "Beach Boys medley", so I'm only counting the other 34 songs. The lead singers break down this way:

12.5 songs -- Mike Love (seven 'full credits', 11 'half credits')
8 songs -- Brian Wilson (three 'full', ten 'half')
5.5 songs -- Carl Wilson (four 'full', three 'half')
4 songs -- group (one full, six half)
1.5 songs -- Alan Jardine (one of each)
1 song -- Dennis Wilson (one full)
1 song -- The Fat Boys (one full)

total: 34 songs.

Sterling work, Bruce. My compliments. Take the rest of the day off. :P
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#8 User is offline   Murry's Ghost 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

View PostRuint Domino, on Mar 3 2009, 02:31 PM, said:

.5 for Dean makes sense since he was already .5 of Jan and Dean.

Surf's Up

#9 User is offline   brianmargo67 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

Looks like we got stalled around "In My Room," so...

"Fun Fun Fun" - Mike
"I Get Around" - Mike
"When I Grow Up" - Mike with Brian
"Dance Dance Dance" - Mike
"Do You Wanna Dance" - Dennis
"Help Me Rhonda" - Al
"California Girls" - Mike
"The Little Girl I Once Knew" - Group
"Barbara Ann" - Group
"Wouldn't It Be Nice" - Brian
"God Only Know" - Carl
"Sloop John B" - Brian and Mike
"Good Vibrations" - Carl
"Heroes and Villains" - Brian
"Wild Honey" - Carl
"Darlin'" - Carl
"Friends" - Carl
"Do It Again" - Mike
"Bluebirds Over The Mountain" - Mike
"I Can Hear Music" - Carl
"Rock and Roll Music" - Mike
"It's OK" - Mike
"Here Comes The Night" - Carl
"Good Timin'" - Carl
"Come Go With Me" - Al
"Getcha Back" - Mike
"Kokomo" - Mike
In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high. --Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

#10 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

View Postbrianmargo67, on Mar 11 2009, 10:25 PM, said:

"Sloop John B" - Brian and Mike

I got the impression Al sang on lead on it too but maybe his contribution falls under "harmonizing". :)
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#11 User is offline   viper 

• "You expect me to talk? "
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Life!

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

View Postjohn k, on May 30 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

I got the impression Al sang on lead on it too but maybe his contribution falls under "harmonizing". :)

Brian and Mike sang lead on that one. Al sang back up with the rest of the boys on the chorus.
Posted Image

The Bhagavad Gita says, "There has never been a time when you and I have not existed, nor will there be a time when we will cease to exist."

#12 User is offline   brianmargo67 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

View Postjohn k, on May 30 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

I got the impression Al sang on lead on it too but maybe his contribution falls under "harmonizing". B)

I totally understand that. I thought that it was Al singing the echoing "On my wayyyy" on the 45 version of "California Saga." I've noticed before, though, that there is a certain register (high tenor, almost breaking into falsetto) where Brian's and Al's voices are VERY much alike... almost indistinguishable.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :P
In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high. --Henry David Thoreau, WALDEN

#13 User is offline   viper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

View PostMurry's Ghost, on Feb 13 2009, 08:20 AM, said:

Has anyone ever seen a breakdown of all the top 40 Beach Boys songs with the lead singer listed with each song?
I doubt if any other group could claim as many different band members singing lead on so many hit records.

The Beatles is the only group to claim all four members having sang lead on different #1 songs in the UK & US charts combined... George with "Something", Ringo with "Yellow Submarine" and John and/or Paul on the rest.

The Beatles had 50 songs in the US Top 40 in which George and Ringo each having one turn as lead vocalist, one song with John, Paul & George taking turns on lead vocals and the rest with John and/or Paul on lead vocals.
Posted Image

The Bhagavad Gita says, "There has never been a time when you and I have not existed, nor will there be a time when we will cease to exist."

#14 User is offline   Ruint Domino 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

View Postviper, on May 30 2009, 06:52 PM, said:

The Beatles is the only group to claim all four members having sang lead on different #1 songs in the UK & US charts combined... George with "Something", Ringo with "Yellow Submarine" and John and/or Paul on the rest.

The Beatles had 50 songs in the US Top 40 in which George and Ringo each having one turn as lead vocalist, one song with John, Paul & George taking turns on lead vocals and the rest with John and/or Paul on lead vocals.

I'm assuming you're not counting the 1964 hit single "My Bonnie", which hit the mid-20's in the charts with Tony Sheridan singing lead.

How about The Drifters? or the New Christy Minstrels? Didn't they place top singles with a variety of singers?

#15 User is offline   viper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

View PostRuint Domino, on May 31 2009, 01:22 PM, said:

I'm assuming you're not counting the 1964 hit single "My Bonnie", which hit the mid-20's in the charts with Tony Sheridan singing lead.

How about The Drifters? or the New Christy Minstrels? Didn't they place top singles with a variety of singers?

Tony Sheridan's "My Bonnie" was not included on my US Top 40 hit singles count for The Beatles. That was his song and he was not a Beatle, the Fabs were just a backing band for that. "Ain't She Sweet" was counted since it featured John Lennon on lead vocals and The Beatles played the music.

The Drifters had different lead singers on their hit singles. Clyde McPhatter's original The Drifters is not the same group as the "new" The Drifter's with Ben E. King. When Ben E. King left, he was replaced on lead vocals by Rudy Lewis on the records., Lewis was then replaced by another. None of the lead singers were in the group at the same time, since McPhatter left, the lead singers were all replacements for the previous one. There are now several different "Drifter" groups touring.

I don't know anything about the New Christy Minstrels.

I think the idea of this topic was bands having all or most of their members taking a turn on lead vocals in the line up, not groups who've had different lead singers like Santana or Van Halen.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

View Postviper, on May 31 2009, 07:52 PM, said:

I think the idea of this topic was bands having all or most of their members taking a turn on lead vocals in the line up, not groups who've had different lead singers like Santana or Van Halen.

Well seeing that we've strayed from the BB (and top 40 records) let's drag The Band kicking and screaming into the proceedings. They were graced with three singers (drummer Levon Helm, bassist Rick Danko and pianist Richard Manuel), any one of which would have done any other band more than proud, who in The Band's best moments wove their voices together in a sort of timeless catch-as-catch-can approach that no other group has ever got close to.

Talking of Tony Sheridan, it seems he was a fabulous guitarist. Even Big Jim Sullivan, no six-string slouch himself, claims that Sheridan was the best in town in the late '50s, early '60s in the UK.

I'll shut up now. :P
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#17 User is offline   viper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

View Postjohn k, on May 31 2009, 05:15 PM, said:

Well seeing that we've strayed from the BB (and top 40 records) let's drag The Band kicking and screaming into the proceedings. They were graced with three singers (drummer Levon Helm, bassist Rick Danko and pianist Richard Manuel), any one of which would have done any other band more than proud, who in The Band's best moments wove their voices together in a sort of timeless catch-as-catch-can approach that no other group has ever got close to.

Talking of Tony Sheridan, it seems he was a fabulous guitarist. Even Big Jim Sullivan, no six-string slouch himself, claims that Sheridan was the best in town in the late '50s, early '60s in the UK.

I'll shut up now. :P

My response was to the topic's originator. To quote Murry's Ghost, "I doubt if any other group could claim as many different band members singing lead on so many hit records.

How many Top 40 hits did The Band have?
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

View Postviper, on Jun 1 2009, 12:19 AM, said:

My response was to the topic's originator. To quote Murry's Ghost, "I doubt if any other group could claim as many different band members singing lead on so many hit records.

How many Top 40 hits did The Band have?

One, but what a one: "The Weight"! :P

However... point taken. B)
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

#19 User is offline   viper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

View Postjohn k, on Jun 1 2009, 04:24 AM, said:

One, but what a one: "The Weight"! :P

However... point taken. B)

What a song! I never knew much about them until the 80s when I saw THE LAST WALTZ on cable TV. What a great band!
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   john k 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:13 PM

View Postviper, on Jun 1 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

What a song! I never knew much about them until the 80s when I saw THE LAST WALTZ on cable TV. What a great band!

That film almost deserves a book in itself. Martin Scorsese and Robbie Robertson were on all-day-and-all-night coke binges at the time. Scorsese wanted to push Robertson as the big star of the film. He's certainly on screen a lot of the time and talks a lot of eyewash in his interview (which made the singer they began with, Ronnie Hawkins, howl with laughter at the preview). Thing is, Robertson is not in any way a front man, and it showed. Later the other "Band" members ragged him unmercifully about it, telling him to move over in the limo as his charisma was getting all over them! :P Robbie was one of the most original rock guitarists ever who wrote some unforgettable songs for The Band.

On a more mundane note, when my wife and I attended a showing of The Last Waltz when it first came out I was so grabbed by The Band's version of the Marvin Gaye song "Don't Do It" (at the start of the film although at the end of the original concert) that I started twitching and vibrating all over the place. My wife got really p***ed off and moved into another row where the seats (and their occupants) kept relatively still. B)
Posted Image
"I don't want to go out.
I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

CLICK DAILY!
Never online
as a guest!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic